Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Writing with Rox WEEKLY—Guilty Unpleasures

Is anyone able to sit in the womblike white sand beneath healthy swaying palm trees, coconut- mango liquado in hand, while staring blissfully into the many shades of rolling blue ocean lapping at your feet and NOT feel guilty while most everyone you know is back home under snow and 20 below?

Some other things I feel guilty about:
throwing away pennies while vacuuming because the trash is closer than the coin bowl
eating sugar
drinking coffee
making Jude go to school on his seventh birthday
not having a "normal" day job while some people I know work 9-5 either in cubes or standing up without enough potty breaks
being a non-traditional parent
being a parent when I have a hard time parenting myself on some days
texting instead of calling
making ice lanterns in my spare time
not sending birthday cards
taking my time with things
not going to bed on time because I want a few more minutes with my own thoughts or to read
sleeping in when others have to get up at 5 am
cross country skiing on my lunch break
the hurt I've caused others when I didn't have to
being a free spirit when others take life much more seriously
liking candy as much as I did when I was a kid
not wearing a helmet


While it would be nice to be enlightened enough to view guilt through the lens of clear perception as the sack of rocks that it is, I'm just not there yet. Oh, and that's another thing—the "lens of clear perception"— I'm working on letting go of my guilt about my lack thereof, too. 

And yes, I realize that guilt can be a great teacher, a reminder that I need to get my ass in gear and learn how to change my own oil, fix my own sink, tune my own ukulele, etc. I  am also un-blissfully aware that a certain amount of guilt keeps me cozy in a state of stuck: well, as long as I feel guilty about not going to bed on time I may as well not go to bed on time!

Ah, if only we lived in a less guilt-inducing world! Where road signs read "Take Your Time," instead of SPEED LIMIT 55 or WRONG WAY; where we are greeted at any given place of business with "welcome to my place of business, so nice to see you," instead of "may I help you?" If walking into any given place of business is seen as a cry for help, we may as well get real about it. "Why yes, you can help me. Can we sit down and talk for a while? Or maybe we can write together...?" I swear, but every time I go into a store for a little shopping therapy (yes, guilty!) and someone beelines me with "CAN I HELP YOU?" I feel guilty for saying "no thanks, just looking." Sometimes I dare to follow up with, "is that okay with you?" Last week I told the hounds at Office Depot that they were making me nervous... that believe it or not, it takes me a lot of concentration to pick out the right pen. At least I didn't go into the ADD defense, which I've done in the past. I'm getting better.

Of course I'm wise enough to discern when the guilt is really mine or when it belongs to a dysfunctional society based in the "tyranny of the urgent," as my son's principal wrote about last week in the Barton Bugle regarding the recent cold weather school closures and consequent pressure to catch up with all that was lost that week in the classroom. He wrote that he refused to give into that pressure. What a hero. I feel guilty for not congratulating him on that post and surely, I will do so after I do this and the fifteen other things I think I'm supposed to get done before lights out.


Guilt is just another  real thing that makes us human and another detail that adds great depth to our writing! What it is, what we do with it, and how it manifests is what makes us uniquely human.  So commiserate with me on the page! Meet your guilt on the page! What are you feeling guilty about today? And... don't let guilt get in the way of posting... you can always be anonymous!




7 comments:

  1. Isn’t Guilty Unpleasures an oxymoron? Another Rox prompt to ponder…

    Many of the guilty(s) on your list speak to me, yet one in particular grabs my attention – being a free spirit when others take life much more seriously… Thanks to your book recommendation of a couple months ago (AGTOL), I now recognize your trouble with “free spiritedness” as a condition reflecting your well-developed limbic brain. (BTW – I enjoyed AGTOL a great deal, and am now looking into brain-transplant surgery to make certain I live more fully in my limbic and less fully in my neo-cortex, and YES, I do feel a tad guilty about pursuing this hedonistic based surgery and remain pessimistic that my health coverage will pay in full!). But, enough about my pending surgeries, and back to your free-spiritedness dilemma. I surmise free-spiritedness is a good thing, hell, I’ll even call it a great thing, although you suggest it saddles you with guilt in some way. What to do!? How about removing the “un” prefix before pleasures and accepting that free-spiritedness leaves you feeling guilty, and in this case the guilt can and will lead to pleasure, not to un-pleasure.

    Now, I think you overestimate that “others take life much more seriously” than you. I think “others” like to think that they are perceived as taking life more seriously, yet most the others I know, are master-posers, and in fact, despite appearances, these folk tend to slack, and live life with an ambivalent disregard, and as such are fundamentally (and secretly) less satisfied than those who entertain free-spiritedness. So, pour yourself a glass of guilt, stir in some mango, and bottoms up!

    Great prompt and thanks for never sending me a birthday card, to do so, would disappoint! Ciao friend – Bare Trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday, BTees! Are you an aquarian? !!!

      Great to hear from you... how long it's been--you never call, you never write, you never tell me who you are-oh the guilt you must be feeling. Ha. JK!

      Sheesh, why don't the folks who are pretending to be serious just stop pretending and start laughing more in public instead? Wouldn't that be easier?

      Glad this resonated... So glad you liked GTOL... an alternative to brain surgery is yoga, chanting, and meditation, and writing, but don't get me started on that....

      UNguilty pleasures= If these things make me guilty, they should at least be pleasurable in the doing (or not doing of), such as procrastination or texting (I hate texting!) and as opposed to free spiriting around all over the place....

      So great to write with you again BEETease, stay in touch, Hugs amigito!

      Delete
    2. Happy Saturday Rox!

      Good advice on the yoga, chanting, meditation, and writing as the alternative to brain-surgery. AND what’d we use to call it.., soifa-ing? I’ll include soifa-ing with your prescription! Speaking of soifa-ing, I was driving a night ago about 6pm, and it was sorta light in the west and I felt a light tickle of spring-fever and liked it. So, it seems there is hope that my limbic brain will be bear-like and return from hibernation one of these weeks, relatively soon! Woohoo!

      Agreed, people need to stop pretending and start laughing spontaneously in public, it would be easier, dang it… Of course, that said, is remaining anonymous a form of pretending? Yowser, hope not! So, sorry it had been awhile, and I admit I never call, and believe me, given your clearly stated aggravation with texting – I won’t be attempting THAT anytime soon! So signing off for now,
      BeatEase (one who drums effortlessly)
      BeeTs (really small t-shirts)
      BeetEase (a trendy foodie who puts beets in EVERYTHING)
      BeTease (unabashed titillator)
      BeatTeas (what good coffee does)

      And so many more interpretations I can barely stand it. Peace, a hug back, and keep pleasuring through your weekend! Bare Trees

      Delete
  2. Ha! Soifaing, yes!!! That too, is a huge, guilty pleasure, which I wish I could get around to getting over my guilt so I could get around to it more often!

    It amazes me how physically similar meditation and soifaing are, yet one is exorbitantly more difficult than the other and does not cause guilt. Which makes methinks (and melaughs out loud!) that the time I spend doing with my brain is what I judge more than the time I spend doing with my body! In other words: meditating on couch=not guilty=good, whereas soifaing=guilty=not good.

    God, this is good.

    And this, too, Dear BeaTeeze (love the interpretations btw; are they per chance, clues of some kind? :)), is one of my favorite guilty pleasures!

    Laughing all the way, without guilt, and I thank you for that... Talk soon, Rox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, the clues are a-plenty – although considering the unguilty pleasure I experience with anonymity, each and every clue is assuredly unintentional. It’s odd, I tried to wait a few days to reply to you, but -
      here I sit,
      caving in,
      adding more,
      as if a sin.

      But you know, it isn’t a sin, it’s not even close! Random: Would you agree that being a Bee Tease, is a foolhardy pastime?

      A quick note today, less is more or so they say. The clock hands turn, no time to play.

      Unguiltily submitted, BT

      Delete
    2. this is heatin' up, Beigh Teighs... I think we need our own blog, don't you? The mystery of Bare Trees. A charmed blog, for sure....

      I love how far we've dug ourselves into unguilty pleasures... and no, it's no sin at all. And, I think being an anonymous arbre taquine is quite a fine pastime... So, arbres taquines...

      love the poem, love that you couldn't wait to write... I wonder if I know who you are... I think I might; what would you say to that?

      (I am heating up the plot, as you know...more readers, etc, etc...)

      Until you, anonymous you...
      Rox

      Delete
    3. PS: I cannot help wonder what an AOBT does when not SOIFAing... to where or to whom do the hands of the clock throw you?

      Delete