Thursday, January 23, 2014

Writing with Rox WEEKLY—Winter Survival

Greetings from Akumal! Even here in the sunny Yucatan winter has found her might way... reports of storms, rains, and even "shape shifters" have found their way on the (cyber) page here in Mexico, warning travelers and locals alike of how to negotiate the (if and when) coming tropical storm. If and when because you never know in Mexico. You can count on weather reports as much as you can count on the exchange rate being consistent. Still, I love the "whatever, manana," attitude here. I think it's partially why I return time and time again, frustrating as it can be.

But enough! I imagine you Minneapolis readers are shaking your pens at me for complaining, let alone being in Mexico and out of the negative climes!

The point is I love how writing continues to honor its roots of communicating vital information from human to human about how to survive. Before it was made all pretty and put into beautiful books (which I for the most part loooove, mind you), writing was a simple act of love, a gift, an offering, etc— an organic need to create and communicate. How many times have you said or heard someone say: "I have to write this down"?

Perhaps over time we added music and sang our wisdom from tribe to tribe to get folks to pay more attention. I'm sure ADD existed then too, after all. From there, we wrote things on the cave walls, which led to paper and pen and highway signs and note passing and book making and texting and ...



One such offering I read yesterday: 
BEWARE OF STONEFISH. DO NOT STEP ON THEM. BITE CAN BE FATAL. 

And wouldn't you know later that day while snorkeling I swam right over a Stonefish, which I of course thought was at first any old ocean stone (You know? Those!) and could have easily stepped right on it and gone fatal had I not known it had fins and a very ruby red mouth. It DID look less threatening when swimming, but still, I saw fire in that fish's eyes.

Last week in Tuesday Eve Healing group, we began our night by writing out our winter survival tips. Still being a relative newbie to MN, I was amazed at what I learned about how to get through this. (Of course, my contribution was "go to Akumal.") Everything from talking to natives about directions to carrying a shovel and kitty litter in your car to creating arte de snow by adding food coloring to your snow-folk. Oh, I guess I did also say "Go to the Loppet on Saturday night to see the fire lanterns go up into the winter sky." I stand by that today, now, even in the tropics.  We could have written all night on that. Perhaps into the morning. We were all feeling much better about winter, at least for then. But we knew if we ever again got discouraged, all we had to do was look into our little notebooks with the added tips etched into the margins and all would be well again. Remember that this too shall pass.

So, wherever you are, whatever you are doing or not doing, What is your winter wisdom/survival song? What is the story behind that wisdom?

And remember, when you share, you are helping us survive! We don't care (yes, we enjoy!) how pretty or poetic or literary it sounds... share from your heart and truth and it sings no matter what!

So help out your writing and human community alike... we want to listen to the whole story!


Sending love and sunshine (with a bit of wind and rain) from Akumal xoxoxo










8 comments:

  1. For me winter is a time of turning inward. I look forward to the "hibernation" that winter allows me. I look forward to getting home from work, putting on my cozy pajama pants, creating something healthy from scratch for dinner, reading a good book, writing (okay I confess I haven't been very good about that one), watching a movie with my spouse. The yard work, gardening, biking, walking, canoeing, outdoor concerts, picnics, family reunions, and other outdoor endeavors are temporarily asleep, like children taking a long afternoon nap. Ahhhhhh! I can relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing Gayle! This is such a great reframe for me! I love the idea that summer is taking a nap... Thanks for this wisdom. Look so forward to writing with you again soon! Rox

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking of you this week and how you picked a perfect time to get out of MN! How am I surviving yet another day of super cold and kids at home? Remember that day of silence I wrote about? Today is pretty close. Wrote up a list of things the kids needed to do today along with fun things and set them free. No need to talk to me. It's interesting to see how they have chosen all the fun stuff to do first. Eager to see when they tackle the work parts of the list.
    More winter survival tips: I'm quite enjoying snuggling in blankets and knitting while watching shows on Netflix. I've watched Netflix for so long that when I tuned into regular tv last night I couldn't handle the commercials and went right back to Netflix.
    One more tip: Hot drinks. Tea kettle whistling. Favorite mug. Yep, that's the ticket!
    Hugs!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amber, I love this! I can't wait to hear more about this in writing! A day of silence with the kids. I so want to remember to do this. This is amazing wisdom!!! Thank you! Hope you are staying warm today... sending love and sunshine! See you soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a good site post without fail. Not too many people would actually, the way you just did. I am impressed that there is so much information about this subject that has been uncovered and you’ve defeated yourself this time, with so much quality. Good Works! thesurvivallife

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your article has piqued a lot of positive interest. I can see why since you have done such a good job of making it interesting. nuclear explosion

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was reading your article and wondered if you had considered creating an ebook on this subject. Your writing would sell it fast. You have a lot of writing talent. Hiking In Mendoza

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. the lost ways book review

    ReplyDelete